Saturday, July 12, 2008

POOP!



Two exciting things happened today. I'll start with the most recent because I know the title sparked your interest.


Jacob was in the tub tonight and said "poop." We've been talking about potty training (he loves his potty-time books) and he has a potty he sits on sometimes (we mostly try before bath time) but that's about all. Anyways, so I said ok, why not and pulled him out of the tub. We dried off a bit then I sat him on the potty and he started peeing!


I was shocked b/c he always pees as soon as his feet hit the water in the tub. In fact, I've got him trained to pee into the diaper we just pulled off b/c it grosses me out that he pees in his clean water. That's why we try to go potty before the bath. Anyways, so then I encourage him to go poop and he did! Three little terds! I was so proud.


This was actually his second potty adventure. About a week ago after we'd been working outside, we all came in for a shower (Jacob LOVES taking showers w/ us). Right after we got out he started grunting and trying to poop on the floor. Brian grabbed him and tried to set him on the big potty in our bathroom but he was obviously very uncomfortable and wanted to stand....so Brian stood him up on top of the toilet. He then peed down into the toilet and stood there and pooped!


I thought it was just a fluke. You always hear people say that boys don't do well with potty training until they are 3 and you don't want to push it etc...That's why I've been reluctant to try even though he tells me right after and sometimes before he poops. He often wakes up from naps dry and sometimes is dry in the mornings too. So, I guess maybe we'll give this potty training thing a real try and if it doesn't work, we'll wait a while. No big deal.


So now for the other exciting story. We were loading up the car getting ready to take some extra swing set bolts back to home depot. Brian had buckled Jacob into his car seat and given him the keys to "play with" while he got something out of his car. As soon as the car door shut BEEP BEEP! Jacob locked the doors.


He loves to play with the keyless entry buttons-this isn't anything new. It makes his so happy to make the horn honk over and over and over. I walked out of the house into the garage right as this was happening. It was one of those slow-motion moments. Brian immediately started yelling at him to hit the "other button." I calmly walked over and started yelling for Jacob to hit the "bottom button."


Within seconds my eyes were welling up with tears. Hormones I know. I wasn't panicing, I just couldn't help but think that it was suppose to be >100 degrees, we were in the garage, and Jacob was locked inside a car that wasn't running. I excused myself, turned my back, and took a few steps away. I started praying out loud, asking God to show Jacob what button to press. Within seconds I heard the click and Brian had grabbed the door handle and opened it.


GOD IS SO GOOD! I know it was him. Jacob never hits the other two buttons. Not even the panic button that makes the horn honk non-stop. He just loves the lock button. So our lesson is learned, no harm done. Brian said he was totally prepared to bust out a window. Thankfully the whole ordeal went down in a matter of less than 2 minutes so that didn't have to happen.


I had to add a picture of our exciting potty night. Hope you don't get too grossed out!

2 comments:

Marla said...

Brian must not have been paying attention at school the day the police academy said don't put the kid and the keys in the car and shut the door.....!!! One time my mom's dog locked himself and Kolton in the car...it was running but the fire dept had to come bust a window. Dumb beagle. I'm so glad you are blogging now.

Jenn said...

Wow, you go Jacob! What a big boy! Mrs. Jennifer is SO proud of you!!!

Praise God Jacob pushed the button to open the door!!! How scarey!

On a subject that has nothing to do with your blog...that carrot cake is AWESOME!!! I'm going to gain 20 pounds this week for sure because I want to just eat the whole thing myself!!!!