Sunday, November 23, 2008

Homeless for Thanksgiving

You know everything I just wrote a few hours ago about being so excited about Thanksgiving...not having to cook or clean etc? Well, scratch that. We are now homeless for Thanksgiving.
It's a long story so I'll try to be brief. It all started 3 yrs ago when my uncle Mike was diagnosed with melanoma. It of course spread (as melanoma always does-which is why it's so deadly) to his liver and lungs. They did a cocktail of chemo of which he only tolerated for about half the length of time he was supposed to get it. The side effects were too much, he had to quit. He was in "remission" for a little over a year. With his type of cancer, the doctors consider remission when the tumors aren't actively growing, even though they were still there.
A week or so ago we got the bad news we knew would come eventually. The tumors are growing again. They had doubled in size in 2 months. The doctors told him at this rate his life expectancy is very short. The problems was trying to figure out what to use to treat him, as he had already tried all of the options in round 1 of chemo. They finally found an experimental drug that they were going to start the first of December. Because it is experimental (he would only be the 2nd in the nation to receive it) insurance does not cover it. So now they had to come up with $25,000. His church immediately put together a fundraiser which took place last Friday night. It raised $21,000. What a miracle!
Well, this morning my uncle woke up and told my aunt he felt funny, and that his chest and arm hurt. He told her he thought he might be having a heart attack. They immediately went to the ER where it was confirmed. I think it was minor but we'll know more tomorrow after his cath.
All that said....they were going to come down (from Houston) for Thanksgiving. Now, my parents are going there. Which means we are stuck at home again. I feel really guilty for being so bummed. Hello! My uncle who has inoperable, incurable cancer just had a heart attack. I am worried about him, don't get me wrong. I just know he's in really good hands. If everyone could please keep him, my Aunt Rita and my cousin Jonathan (who will turn 16 next month) in your prayers.
I bought supplies for making queso and cake so I guess that's what we'll be having on turkey day! Brian is really bummed too. We were so looking forward to a nice, relaxing day. There's just something about my parent's house that is so relaxing! Anyways, now the plan is either burgers or steaks. Oh well, maybe next year!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You guys are more than welcome to come to our place for thanksgiving. My parent will be here but I'm sure they won't mind!

Marla said...

Robert talked to Brian....we'll all have to get together again this weekend to 'chill'.