Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Vent and Tag

Before fulfilling my tag duties, I must vent. I'm really angry...Jacob woke up at 3am last night with a horrible croupy cough. So what you ask. Well, the reason I am angry about it is because I know exactly where he picked up the germies.

After Bible class Sunday morning, I went to ask Brian if he had checked on Jacob. He replied yes, that he was climbing the mats in his classroom as always. He also commented that a particular family had come in and their kids had lots of green snot oozing from their noses. I knew that two of their kids were in Jacob's class but I was too busy trying to get Jenna to go to sleep so I could go in to church to worry about it.

Obviously I should have worried about it. I really don't worry as much as I used to about Jacob picking up cooties since his teacher is a PEDIATRIC NURSE! You would think that she would be good about kicking out the kids with cooties. I am sooooo mad. I mean, if Brian mentioned their snotty noses it must have been really bad. I don't understand why our church is so lax about this stuff.

When Jacob was a baby, I was "that mom" that wouldn't take her kid to the nursery. I know everyone thought I was a crazy first time mom that couldn't let anyone else take care of my baby but that wasn't the case. Every time I popped my head in I would see snotty noses and I wasn't about to leave my kid in there! Jacob stayed with us until he was around 6 months old and flu/RSV season was over! Even then he got sick regularly after being in church. I guess I'm going to have to do the same with Jenna, which is hard because she doesn't sleep through church like Jacob did.

My friend at work volunteers in her church nursery often and she says they are super strict. Any nasal drainage at ALL be it clear, green, orange, or purple and they aren't allowed in the nursery. Same goes for fever and rashes. They don't care if the kid is teething, or whatever other excuses parents come up with. I think that's how it should be - there is no way to tell who is infectious and who isn't. And it's not fair to the kids who get sick and their families.

Ok, I'll stop now. I am literally going to inspect the kids in the nursery from now on when I drop off Jacob before class and again before church. If I don't like what I see, I will kindly confront the teacher. If I don't get results, I guess we'll all head home, cause there is no way Jacob will sit through church.

Ok Marla, this is for you. You see, I've been tagged again but this time I refuse to be the tagger. So if anyone reads this and wants to play along, I tag you!


1. If you could go back in time and relive one particular time in your life, when would it be? growing up in east Tx, running around outside barefoot, just being a kid

2. If you could drive any car out there, what car would you drive? a Jag

3. If you could drive an SUV, what kind would you drive? Volvo

4. What is your greatest pet peeve of all time?

5. What room in your house stays clean most of the time? Most of them

6. What room stays messed up most of the time? Jacob's room

7. Can you get both cars in your garage? Every day

8. Do you make your bed every day? No but Brian does it often

9. When you come home from a long day or you have to change clothes, do you hang things up or do you make a pile that last for days and days? I rarely can re-wear stuff so it goes in the laundry. With an infant and a toddler I'm bound to have spit-up or food or something on my clothes. But pre-kids I would hang it up.

10. How many days of the week do you cook an evening meal? Not often since Brian works evenings, but I cook a lunch for us several days a week.

11. What's your favorite meal? dessert and crab legs

12. If you could go anywhere on vacation and spend a week, where would you go? The Caribbean. Any island/beach would do.

13. What's your favorite television show of all time? Party of Five

14. What was your favorite children's show growing up? The Cosby Show

15. What was your favorite toy as a child? our trampoline

16. What was your favorite book as a child? The Babysitters Club series.

17. What was the first car that you drove? A powder blue Buick Skyhawk

18. What color was your first bike? I think it was white with pink. It was a hand-me-down.

19. Did you ever do anything really bad growing up? Not really, my dad was a cop you know.

20. Did you ever steal anything growing up? No.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Hannah - I am SO sorry that happened to Jacob in our church nursery. I was not there on Sunday because Samantha was sick and I stayed home with her. I always watch for symptoms of illness and have turned many a child away for runny noses and eyes. Unfortunately, it is not always apparent at check in if mom and dad clean it up right before seeing me and if I'm not there to be made aware of the messy noses, etc., I guess the nursery workers are unsure of what to do because I'm always the one that does the "kicking out" (for lack of a better phrase)! Once the child is in the room with all of the kids, they are already exposed. We do have a strict cleaning policy but that doesn't help if parents bring a child and "clean up" the symptoms at check-in so I won't notice it (or if I'm not there to police it).

Our handbook does state that the children aren't allowed in the nursery with colored nose drainage or any drainage from the eyes. Since I wasn't there, I don't even know which children or any of the details pertaining to Sunday but I do apologize profusely.

Hopefully whoever the next volunteer nursery coordinator is, she will do a better job than I have obviously done (I'm stepping down because I simpley can't take it anymore).

Maybe the church will realize the need to pay someone to run the nursery who is qualified to do so instead of using an already over worked volunteer who just tried to do her best and has pooped out here at the end because her spirit has been broken by many...

Melissa said...

Hey Hannah, I hope Jacob feels better really soon! I wanted to write and let you know that we haven't forgotten about getting together with you guys....lets get some days picks and do it. :) Looking forward to fellowshipping with you guys....and just go ahead and hand her over to me so I can have that baby fever once again. :)

Jenn said...

Hi Hannah,

I knew you didn't mean this post at me....you were just getting something off of your chest (and, if you're like me, it helps to write about it and get it out). You are a very sweet and wonderful person and I think very highly of you!

Love,
Jennifer

Melissa said...

We missed you today at the luncheon! I hope everything is okay. It went really really well. :)

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry about your car! How is Jacob today? We missed you this morning as well. :)

Tammy Huntress said...

I also apologize for Jacob getting sick. Please let me know anytime you have any questions or concerns about a situation in the nursery. I will do what I can to make sure those concerns are addressed. We love Jacob very much and enjoy him coming. We are here for the children and want their parents to feel good about leaving them with us. I am thankful you guys are a part of our church family and hope this will not hinder you continuing to come and worship with us. We will continue to watch those who come and do everything in our power not to allow anyone with an illness to enter the nursery. I hope Jacob is doing well and look forward to seeing you guys on Sunday.